Some of us often doubt how stylish we are. Looking at others and comparing ourselves to them can lead to doubts over whether we’re looking the right way or wearing the right things. As women, this is one of the worst things we can do for our self-esteem.
Learning to embrace our own personal sense of style and fashion plays a key part in being comfortable in your own skin. Looking to others for inspiration is fine, but when we begin to actually start doubting ourselves in comparison, it’s time to make a few changes.
Defining your personal style is actually easier than most people might think. It is simply a case of getting in tune with your own body and understanding what looks and more importantly feels good on you.
Making yourself feel comfortable is going to lead to more confidence in the way you look. It will also have a positive effect on the way you portray yourself to others.
If you are struggling to define your personal statement style, then we’ve outlined a few basic tips below, to help you get started.
- Style doesn’t have to be uncomfortable. How many times have we all rushed out and bought a pair of killer heels, only to wear them and find out that they leave our feet covered in blisters? Some models and fashionistas would have you believe that this is normal. It isn’t, and you don’t have to wear things that cause you physical pain, in the name of fashion!
- Know what looks good on you. Deep down, we all know what looks good on us. Try to worry less about what’s ‘on trend’ and instead think about what you actually like to wear. Don’t force yourself to take part in a fashion trend just because others are.
- Know what suits your body shape. We all come in different shapes and sizes. Make good use of your best assets and show off the things you love about your body. Find clothing and beauty products that highlight your positive points.
- Accessories and extras. Choose jewellery and accessories that suit your skin tone. Typically gold jewellery suits warmer skin tones and silver suits pale skin. Once again, it all depends on your preference.
- Brands and designers. Certain designers will usually be bigger and more ‘en vogue’ at various times of the year. Choose a designer that appeals to you and pick products that will have longevity in the fashion scene. Don’t waste your money on items you’ll wear once.
So there you have it! Proof that defining your own personal sense of style is easy. All you need is a little bit of self-belief and some confidence in your own product choices.
The rest will work itself out. Go for fashion and beauty choices that make you happy and ignore the fashion buzz trends that will soon fizzle out.
Take your time choosing the right products as snap decisions when making purchases can result in you feeling deflated with your buys when you get home. Remember, there is no major rush. The product you are thinking about purchasing will probably still be available once you’ve looked around.