Our senses are there to give us a greater appreciation of the world around us, but they also play an important role in keeping us safe. If you’re a homeowner, having a keen sense of smell can alert you to potential dangers. Here are some ominous odors to look out for.
If you live in an old house, you may find that your home is susceptible to damp, but new homes aren’t immune. Damp is a very common household problem, which occurs as a result of excess moisture. Damp can be caused by problems with the guttering that affect drainage, holes in the roof and the buildup of condensation due to loose window frames. Rising damp can also be a sign of moisture seeping into the basement or ground floor via the internal structures that form the foundations or through cracks in aging walls. Damp has a musty, stale smell and sometimes, you can also feel it in the air. It may also be possible to spot discolored patches on the walls or ceiling. The odor is usually more noticeable when you come in from outside.
Image credit https://www.flickr.com/photos/tgillin/1209672146
Is there an unpleasant smell at home? Can you constantly smell sewage even though the toilets aren’t blocked, and your home is sparkling? Can’t get rid of the sewer smell in your basement? Click here for help. If you’re in the situation where you can’t seem to escape the smell of sewage, online articles are really helpful. Alternatively, if you don’t want to attempt to resolve the situation yourself, professional companies can use tried and tested techniques to identify the cause and remedy the issue. Most commonly, unpleasant odors in the basement are caused by water traps drying out in the floor drain.
If you smell gas at home, this can be incredibly dangerous. You may have a gas leak, or you may have left an appliance, such as a gas stove, running. The first thing you should do is contact your gas provider and then switch off the gas supply at the meter. Avoid using any switches or lighting cigarettes or using matches, as this can result in a fire. Ventilate your home by opening windows and doors. If you do have a gas leak, you may also notice symptoms such as dizziness and headaches, as well as the smell of gas. All homeowners should be aware of the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have an odor, and for this reason, it’s wise to install carbon monoxide alarms at home. If carbon monoxide is detected, the alarms will go off, and you can contact an engineer and go to a safe place. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include severe headaches, drowsiness, and dizziness. You may notice that pets become lethargic too.
As a homeowner, it’s always a good idea to use your nose to sniff out potential problems. If you notice unpleasant or unusual odors, get them checked out as soon as possible. Acting quickly could save you a lot of money, and in some cases, it may even save your life.