5 Most Dangerous Appliances At Home
Your home is a sanctuary for you to relax, enjoy, and feel safe. However, you have items inside your shelter that is posing a threat to you and your family members. You must know how to keep your family safe by placing these items in a safe position like considering the power resistor for proper current flow and control.
It’s time for you to check out these five most dangerous appliances you are merely placing everywhere in your house. You regularly use some of them. Knowing them will lead you to take the necessary precautions to protect your home from disaster.
- Space heaters
Fire is the biggest threat to space heaters. Every year, there are about 55,000 fire incidents that cause 450 lost of lives and 1,500 injuries, and all are because of space heaters.
Space heaters can pose a shock hazard because they use a vast amount of electricity. The item can easily experience overload circuits that can cause power failure, and fire. Children and pets are vulnerable from experiencing a burn, or adults can accidentally brush up against the hot part of the space heater. Also, it is possible for clothes to catch on fire. Hence, a taller space heater can easily tip over and pose a fire.
- Clothes Dryers and Washing Machines
In 2010, there are more than 16,800 fire incidents across the United States because of the clothes dryer and washing machine. These disasters took 50 lives, 430 injuries, and $200 Million damage of properties.
The lint inside the machine is the cause of the risk. The Lint accumulation and reduction or loss of airflow will cause the fire to start. Lint is highly combustible material.
- Stoves and Ovens
You are likely to expect that stoves and ovens are among the most dangerous appliances in your home. When you left them unattended, no regular cleaning and malfunctioning ranges will lead to the fire incident. Nearly 45,000 fires between 2002 and 2009 are due to stoves and ovens.
These are common incidents:
- They open and use the stove for heating during winter
- Carbon monoxide that is hanging in the atmosphere of your home can cause headache, dizziness, nausea, and fainting that can lead to death
- Leaving the stove open and unattended
- Habitually placing of highly combustible materials near the stove or oven
- Gas leaks can cause a fire
Microwaves change the way every home and kitchen cooks around the world. But, microwave can cause severe accidents because of improper use and will malfunction.
There were incidents in 2012 where microwaves automatically turn themselves on and bring deadly house fires.
- Toasters and Toaster Ovens
In 2007-2011, nearly 3,000 fire incidents that damage over $27 Million of properties was due to toasters and toaster ovens. You may not believe it, but this little cooking accessory can potentially cause harm.
It is familiar to every home that toasters and toaster ovens are placed in cabinets. When these appliances ignite, it can quickly spread flames throughout the kitchen.
The regular cleaning and emptying excess crumbs can reduce the risk of toaster fires. Remember to add these appliances to your kitchen-cleaning schedule.